Music has always been a part of my life. Growing up, I can’t remember a time when my house wasn’t flooded with the sounds of Elvis Costello, or Louis Armstrong, or Radiohead. My dad had a thirst for learning about different musicians and what their take on the life was, and my brother and I happily soaked it all in, gaining a thorough musical education as we munched on our Corn Pops.
Future Husband and I would sometimes go for months without seeing one another during our five years of long distance, and more than anything else, music got me through those lonely times of missing the one I loved most in the world. There’s something about hearing that first note of a favorite song that soothes the soul, and almost immediately, and makes you feel less alone. I wanted to share some of those songs that have become so special to me over the years with you, dear readers. Please enjoy, and I hope you find comfort in the warmth, happiness and love that these songs bring with them.
- I Feel Like Going Home – Yo La Tengo
- True Love Waits – Radiohead
- In an Aeroplane Over the Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel
- La Vie en Rose – Louis Armstrong
- True Love will Find You in the End – Daniel Johnston
- Northern Sky – Nick Drake
- Falling Slowly – The Swell Season
- If Not for You – Bob Dylan (and George Harrison)
- More on Our Song – Diggin’ Me – Martin Sexton