Whenever I see images from weddings with quotes, I think to myself, “That’s so cool! We’ll definitely have to incorporate some fun, meaningful quotes of our own.” And I brush off the real search for quotes, figuring I’ll procrastinate for another day.
My father’s labor of love throughout my childhood was a quote book, dubbed “The Hip Pocket Guide to Offbeat Wisdom.” From him, I learned how much quotes can resonate with different people in unique and powerful ways. Poignant and poetic words have the power to infuse a deep-rooted level of meaning, purpose and intent into an otherwise unreflecting moment.
Music, writings, movie dialogue — they all have something meaningful to lend to an experience. The #rocslogans competition on Twitter has me wanting to fit in some room for funny sayings (and to do right by my comedic Future Hubs) but I want honest and beautiful quotes on love, togetherness and all that jazz in there as well. Table numbers, welcome signs, programs, invitations — it seems as if there’s an endless number of places to include meaningful quotes on our special day. So begins the quest to find magic words that resonate with us as a couple and our guests. Here are a few quotes that I particularly love, most of which were gathered by my father, and are included in his book:
- “It it only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “Right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection, or steal the joy of this perfect moment.” – Audrey Niffenegger (The Time Traveler’s Wife)
- “Until further notice, celebrate everything.” – Tim Hansel
- “The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.” – Dean Acheson
- “Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.” – Buddha
- “Love is insanity with a collaborator.” – Gene Perret
- “Love, having no geography, knows no boundaries.” – Truman Capote
- “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life. That word is love.” – Sophocles